Saturday, February 5, 2011

buttermilk blueberry pancakes

If you're into waiting for a table (minimum wait 45+ minutes) while you drool over diners diving into their Sunday brunch, by all means, go to Clinton Street Baking Co. & Restaurant where the fluffiest buttermilk blueberry pancakes can be found. I came across this recipe by the way of Let Her Bake Cake and I also added my own touch of vanilla extract just to bump up the deliciousness. 
I've tried several times to get a table at Clinton Street Baking Co. and because I was aching to eat these cakes, I imagined this recipe seemed to be the closest to the real deal.....


Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes


2 large eggs (separated)
220 milliliters (1 scant cup) buttermilk
5 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
190 grams (scant 1 1/3 cups) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup fresh blueberries


1. WET INGREDIENTS - Separate the eggs so that the yolks go into a large bowl and the whites into another "clean & grease-free" bowl. Add the buttermilk, melted butter & vanilla extract to the egg yolks and give them a whisk to combine.


2. DRY INGREDIENTS - In another bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, kosher salt, baking powder & baking soda. Set aside.


3. With a hand-held electric mixer or whisk, whip the egg whites to soft peaks.


4. Add the WET INGREDIENTS to the DRY INGREDIENTS and stir lightly until combined. Some lumps are OK. Do not over mix! Fold in the EGG WHITES until just combined. It's OK if some of the whites aren't fully incorporated.  


5. Rub a non-stick pan or griddle with a pat of butter and heat over medium-high heat. ***At this point you can decide if you want large, medium or small pancakes. I like small ones and I use a 1 1/2 diameter scoop or you can use a tablespoon or 1/4 measuring cup*** Pancakes are ready to flip once a few bubbles appear on the surface and the tops are starting to go dull. Just before they are ready to flip, sprinkle a few blueberries on top of each pancake. Flip and cook another minute or two.


If you're cooking for a crowd or just you and your beloved, keep them warm by placing a cookie sheet or oven-safe plate into a low temperature oven while you cook the remaining batter. Once in the oven, I keep them especially warm by covering them with a metal bowl.


Clinton Street Baking Co. serves their pancakes with a warm maple butter which I believe is a combination of warm maple syrup and melted butter.









3 comments:

  1. Nice blog--looks great! I'll have to try that pancake recipe one Sunday morning! -Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious. Definitely a recipe I am going to try, my daughter will be shocked to learn that pancakes are cooked on a griddle not in the toaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in Texas with the psychos!! Am about to make them your famous pancakes! Xoxo Jeannie, Ansley, Elizabeth, Aubrey & Thea
    Hope I make them as good as you do! Will let you know.
    They think Monica's are the best- I'm going to show them who really makes the best!! Auntie Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete